As the Pastor of Communications for a Southern California megachurch, I direct the design and implementation of all marketing, PR and communications to our congregation and community. At our peak, we had 17 Pastors, 22 ministries, and eight admins. I am responsible for design, print, mailings, PowerPoints, brochures, and our all church monthly magazine.
I also oversee our internet strategy, including weekly e-mails, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, blogs, iTunes and podcasts. These enhance our current member’s engagement with the church, and more effectively communicate to our global internet audience. By leveraging several SEO techniques, Trinity Church is nearly always at or near the top when someone searches for us on Google, Yahoo or Bing. I oversaw the redesign and launch of our WordPress based website www.trinityonline.org and recently made the transition to a mobile compatible design. I also led the charge on our live-streaming and online giving strategies.
After two years without a pastor, a failed senior pastor search, with giving and attendance numbers shrinking, a few weeks ago I found out the elders have eliminated my position.
While personally disappointed about the decision, it has been a privilege to serve Trinity Church for these past nine years. I take comfort in the fact that it was the Lord who opened the door here at Trinity…and it is the Lord who is closing it. Which means, there must be something else He has for me!
Here’s Where You Come In…
- Do you have a contact or two that you can forward this web page?
- A job opening that I might apply?
- Do you know of a church, parachurch or other ministry that is in need a top notch communicator?
- Will you pray for me and my family during this time of transition?
Thank you for your readership and support. This won’t be the last you’ll hear from me. As I wrap up my responsibilities here at Trinity, I know I have a few blog posts up my sleeve. Plus, I’ll let you know where I land.
Click HereTo Download My Resume
Strength Finder Signature Themes
- LEARNER – You love to learn. You are energized by the steady and deliberate journey from ignorance to competence. It enables you to thrive in dynamic work environments where you are asked to take on short project assignments and are expected to learn a lot about the new subject matter in a short period of time and then move on to the next one.
- STRATEGIC – The Strategic theme enables you to sort through the clutter and find the best route. It is not a skill that can be taught. It is a distinct way of thinking, a special perspective on the world at large. This perspective allows you to see patterns where others simply see complexity.
- INPUT – You are inquisitive. And yours is the kind of mind that finds so many things interesting. The world is exciting precisely because of its infinite variety and complexity.
- ACTIVATOR – “When can we start? You are not going to sit around waiting until all the lights have turned green. Besides, in your view, action and thinking are not opposites. In fact, guided by your Activator theme, you believe that action is the best device for learning.
- ACHIEVER – Your Achiever theme helps explain your drive. Achiever describes a constant need for achievement. You have an internal fire burning inside you. It pushes you to do more, to achieve more. After each accomplishment is reached, the fire dwindles for a moment, but very soon it rekindles itself, forcing you toward the next accomplishment.
What Others Are Saying…
“I have known Bruce to be a talented creative person who loves to use his skills to communicate…all with a smile and a “Let’s do this!” attitude. I highly recommend Bruce Herwig for his skill, integrity, and creativity.”
– Jeanie Osterberg, Director | OHANA Global
“As a Project Manager, Bruce seamlessly juggles the promotion and printing needs of over 22 departments at Trinity Church. He excels in establishing and maintaining an online presence, creating a brand and managing projects. Bruce seeks excellence in all he does and takes the time to teach and explain what needs to be implemented.”
– Alison Anderson, Communication, Outreach & Development | Micah House
“In my years of knowing Bruce, I have always respected his loyalty. He was passionately loyal to the organization, his family, co-workers, and friends. This was evident in his desire to support every ministry at Trinity Church through communications, as well as his investment into personal relationships with his team and church attendees. Bruce is a man of his word, of high character and a person that lives a life consistent with his faith. Bruce is very savvy with communications, using various platforms to communicate important church information. He uses a good balance of weekly and monthly print publications as well as internet and social media.”
– Mark Brown, Teaching Pastor | Venture Church
“I have worked creatively with hundreds of churches and non-profits nationally and internationally. Bruce has one of the greatest marketing and communications minds that I’ve ever come across. He has a great knack for not only crafting a correct message for his church in its current state but keeps his eyes focused on “big picture” items that will help move the church forward. He is clear and concise and is highly efficient in GTD (Getting Things Done) and FIO (Figuring It Out). It’s been a true pleasure working with him for many years and I hope to continue in the future.”
– Chris Petinak, President | Thrive Studios
“Bruce saw a need to develop a picture book that would tell the story of our loft house-building ministry. Unsolicited he prepared this book and gave a copy to me to use on both sides of the border to chronicle our ministry. It is an amazing collection of his award winning quality photography. It has been an invaluable tool to me. He saw a need and met it.”
– Rick Carter, President/US Director | Hands of Mercy International
“Having run MinistryCOM and worked with hundreds of churches communication professionals across the country, Trinity is the only church I know of that was successfully able to maintain a distributed model of online posting through various admins. The amount of work, coordination and leadership that Bruce Herwig used to make this consistently happen is beyond words.”
– Terrell Sanders, President | MainStreet Enterprises
“Not only does Bruce know his numbers, he knows his equipment as well. Of all the many churches we work with, Bruce Herwig has truly taken advantage of the cost savings our digital printing equipment has provided. By redesigning their workflow and the sizes they print, Bruce has saved the church thousands of dollars each year. Bruce has a rare combination of business savvy and communications skills that will allow him to be a huge asset to any organization.”
– Gabe Grijalva, Director of Dealer Operations | ImageSource
“I’ve known and worked with Bruce for many years and on countless projects and events. He has consistently produced quality, super-creative work delivered with a personal touch and always with impeccable integrity and character. Bruce is not only professional but one of those people that are just enjoyable to work with. He’s also a brilliant problem solver with a creative mind. I’m not only happy to recommend him but proud to call him a friend.”
– Tony Wilcox, President | The Atomic Group
“Bruce has a teaching/mentoring gift and thrives on sharing knowledge with those around him. I am a better man and more accomplished designer because of those gifts. The sheer volume and quality of the projects his department creates is nothing short of amazing.”
– Jamie M. Sensenig, Program Director | Mt. Gilead Bible Camp
“Bruce always had a willing and creative heart, and the quality of his work was superb. I see Bruce as an asset to any employer or organization which he works and associates with. He has the right attitude and leadership skills to guide and provide a quality service. I would recommend him without reservations.”
– Dianna Lawson, Executive Director | Mansion Memories
“Our weekly worship folders are top notch and the monthly Connections magazine is timely, accurate and well laid out. Throughout the many times we worked together, I always felt that everything in Bruce’s area of responsibility was covered. He made sure we made our decisions early enough so that things ran smoothly.”
– Bruce Humphrey, President | Caseworx
“Bruce is a hardworking, top-preforming communications expert. His regular attention to detail with Trinity’s digital assets has lead to increased functionality and bettered user experiences. He has my highest recommendation.”
– Steve Carroll, Web and Media Developer | New Machine
“I have watched Bruce work for seven years while at Trinity Church. He showed high-quality content in print and on screen. He mentored “above and beyond” one of my family members who interned in the Communications Department. His happy, upbeat character added enthusiasm to what he was doing. He was willing to give of his ‘outside’ time to help further his mission. He’s an overall terrific guy and it would be a plus to any Company or Nonprofit to have him on their team.”
– Rick Rogers | Moody Bible Institute
“Bruce is one the hardest working people I know. He is committed to doing a thorough and complete effort for any task he undertakes. He is honest in his work ethic and creative in his problem solving. Bruce’s output is consistently excellent, timely, reliable and professional.”
– Glenda Marks, Bookkeeper | Trinity Church
“I have had the privilege of working directly with Bruce Herwig in his role as Pastor of Communications at Trinity Church for over seven and a half years. In that time, I have observed Bruce as someone who strives for excellence in everything he does and oversees. Bruce is a godly man of sterling character and extraordinary loyalty.”
– Ken Pierce, Pastor – Singles and Support Groups | Trinity Church
“Bruce is an authentic follower of Jesus Christ, reflecting the character of God, and growing in the qualities that reflect the Lord in his life. He is a man of integrity, highly respected as a husband, father, and pastor. He is committed to excellence in all he does, reflecting beauty and quality in everything that passes through his hands. As a member of a team, Bruce can see the big picture, helping to clarify issues and bring ideas together toward making a main point of action.”
– Bill Born, Pastor of Worship Ministries | Trinity Church
“I have worked with Bruce over the last 7 years and have partnered with him, learned from him, and valued what he has contributed to the organization. Bruce has a mind that is going to benefit whatever he gets involved in because he is able to see paths and gaps in a system or process. I have watched Bruce focus on areas that he wants to improve and he has approached that area of growth with humility and willingness to use those around him to help him develop.”
– James Woolard, Pastor Men’s Ministres | Trinity Church
“Bruce is an innovator, problem solver, always looking for ways to improve strategies, systems, and processes. On a personal level, I know Bruce to be a man of strong and godly character. He is honest, thoughtful, cares for people who need encouragement, and can be counted on to step in and help almost anyone who asks him for help – whether it be in his area of responsibility or not.”
– Larry Shoemaker, Pastor of Family Ministries | Trinity Church
“Without question, Bruce is a highly gifted communicator through his writings, photography, social media, graphic design and other artistic forms. However, his mastery does not come from the finished product, but through the way he plans, designs and executes his work.”
– Dave Wilson, Mission Pastor | Trinity Church
“Bruce has done an incredible job here at Trinity. Our communications, print and digital presence have vastly improved with Bruce at the helm. His passion and work ethic were clearly visible to everyone in the congregation.”
– Mark Bernhardt MD, Elder | Trinity Church
“Bruce Herwig has served for nine years as the Pastor of Communications here at Trinity Church. During this time, our scope and quality of communication increased significantly in print, the web, photography and social media. We are justifiably very pleased with the professional branding of our church that he established. Any employer gaining his services will be well served.”
– Mike Lawrence MD, Elder Chairman | Trinity Church
By The Numbers…
104 Connections Magazines
473 Worship Folders
291 Weekly eNews emails
668 Instagram photos
1,752 Facebook and Twitter posts
1,195 Sermons online (almost 23 years worth!)
801 YouTube videos with 300,000+ views (including Elizabeth Inrig’s post on Modesty that went viral with over 59,000 views!)
100,000+ photos of Trinity events, mission trips and more!
2,100,000+ million hits on the Trinity website